Au pairs are reminded at their training that there is no greater priority than ensuring their host children are safe. Whether you have a live-in nanny, babysitter or au pair, you can benefit from these helpful tips. Check out our top 8 list of au pair approved summer safety tips!
- Apply sunscreen to your host children before taking them outside. Ask your host parents which sunscreen is best to use.
- Be safe at the pool, that means no one should be running, no playing around pipe drains and openings and above all avoid being distracted!
- Drink lots of water. Ensure both you and your host children stay hydrated to reduce the chance of heat sickness.
- Always wear helmets when riding bicycles, scooters, skateboards or anything with wheels.
- Ask your host parents about known allergies to insect bites and how to best protect host children.
- Memorize emergency phone numbers like 911 and your host parents' mobile numbers.
- Keep band aids and other first aid items close by. Always ask your host family BEFORE giving a child any medications.
- Communicate and ask your host parents any questions you may have!! They'll be happy to review the rules for you and help enforce them with their children.