Skip to main content

Current Au Pair Resources

Find information for current au pairs below, including how to extend your program year with AuPairCare, insurance information, important visa details and travel opportunities.

Extend Your Stay in the U.S.

If you are enjoying your year as an au pair, you may want to consider the benefits of extending your program and staying longer. You could earn nearly $10,000 USD, receive up to $500 USD towards studying and enjoy another year in the United States.

You can extend your stay in the United States as an au pair for another 6, 9 or 12 months after your current program ends. Most extending au pairs choose to extend with their current family. However, you can also choose to extend and find a new host family, as many host families are eager to match with au pairs who have proven experience.

How to Extend:

  • Talk to your current family about extending your stay with them. Here are some tips on how to have the conversation
  • If you and your current host family decide not to extend with each other, talk with your Area Director about extending with a new family

Important Reminders about Extending!

  • Complete your education requirement before applying. The Department of State requires you to complete at least 6 credits or 60 hours or its equivalent at a post-secondary institution and have submitted evidence to AuPairCare before we are able to request your extension from the Department of State. To find an accredited school in your area login to Au Pair Room.
  • Extension applications must be submitted 40 days prior to your program end date. A complete list of deadlines can be found in the 2016 Extension Deadline Dates document. Additional information about how to extend will be available in your Au Pair Room account six months prior to your program end date. Late applications cannot be accepted by AuPairCare.

For more information about extending, please log into Au Pair Room.

Travel and J-1 Visa Renewal and Extension Information

During the extension program, if you wish to travel outside of the United States, you may need to renew your J-1 Visa or obtain an additional tourist visa. An au pair must have her extension approved by the Department of State prior to the visa renewal appointment at a U.S. Embassy.

Please note: Au pairs from certain countries may be required to obtain a tourist visa to enter a foreign country. The J-1 Visa for the United States does not automatically grant entry into other countries. You are responsible for checking the requirements for your home country.

Au Pair Travel and Accident Insurance

Insurance Overview:

Effective January 1, 2016 all current au pairs are covered under a new travel and accident insurance policy arranged by AuPairCare as part of their au pair benefits package and will be automatically enrolled with First Health Network. To get your insurance card visit For details of your coverage and to search the network of preferred provider doctors log into You can also visit your AuPairRoom Account for frequently asked questions and other important insurance information. It is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with the policy coverage and exclusions.

Emergency Care

In the event of a life-threatening emergency, you should dial 911 or go to the nearest Emergency Room immediately. You will be required to pay a $350 copay unless you are admitted to the hospital, so please consider if your emergency is in fact life threatening. 

For any questions or before proceeeding with any treatment, please always call the toll-free Customer Service Hotline at 800.314.3938 (Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PT) 


Travel the United States with TrekAmerica

One of the added benefits of being an au pair is that your J-1 Visa gives you the opportunity to spend an additional month in the United States after your au pair program has ended. Many au pairs take advantage of this time to travel around the country. A vacation is the ideal way to finish off your year in the United States!

Take a look at the scenic wonders of America: the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, Yosemite National Park, or the Rocky Mountains. Visit some of America’s most vibrant cities: New York City, New Orleans, Washington DC, Chicago, Los Angeles, or San Francisco. Or maybe you'd like to see a baseball game, check out a concert, visit a museum, or tour Universal Studios - the possibilities of what you can experience as an AuPairCare au pair are endless!


 Au Pair Small Group Adventures with TrekAmerica - 20% Au Pair Discount on all North America tours!

While you are here, grasp the opportunity of a lifetime and discover the real America! Tour America's national parks and natural wonders: amazing waterfalls, hot deserts, colorful canyons, rock formations, sandstone bridges, lush prairies, redwood forests and white sandy beaches.

TrekAmerica adventures in the USA range from 3 to 80 days in duration and are ideal for travelers on a budget. On a TrekAmerica tour you'll share experiences with a small group of young (18 to 30’s) international travelers. In fact our trips have no more than 13 people.

A professional group leader drives our specially customized maxi-van equipped with all the necessary gear. All you need to bring is a sleeping bag and spending money for food and optional activities. Included in the price are all van rides, camping and lodging accommodation, group leader services, entrance to national parks, use of TrekAmerica’s top quality equipment and much more. It’s a great, no-hassle vacation for au pairs who want to see all America has to offer!

Most popular tours for au pairs:

 Camping Style:

  • Western Wonder, 7 days from San Francisco to Los Angeles (or reverse)
  • Freedom Trail, 7 days round trip from New York
  • Atlantic Dream, 14 days from New York to Miami
  • Westerner 2, 14 days round trip from Los Angeles
  • Southern Sun, 21 days from New York to Los Angeles (or reverse)

BLT (Budget Lodging) style:

  • Western BLT, 7 days from San Francisco to Los Angeles (or reverse)
  • Northeastern BLT, 9 days round trip from New York
  • Atlantic BLT, 13 days from New York to Miami
  • Westerner 2, 14 days round trip from Los Angeles
  • Southern BLT, 21 days from New York to Los Angeles (or reverse)

Visit TrekAmerica’s au pair microsite to learn about their style of travel, discounts for friends and family, and enter to win a 7-day camping tour of your choice :

Included Highlights:

  • Transportation in a private maxi-van with luggage trailer
  • Professional TrekAmerica group leader
  • All accommodation (camping or lodging)
  • All national park and monument entrance fees
  • Any included highlights or activities
  • Use of camping and cooking gear (except sleeping bag)

Why TrekAmerica is the perfect travel option for au pairs:

  • Reliable, fully licensed and insured tour operator: TrekAmerica operates in compliance with all regulatory agencies and has obtained business and special use permits from the U.S. National Park Service and other applicable authorities.
  • Guaranteed departures - no cancelation worries!
  • TrekAmerica specializes in tours for students, au pairs and young professionals: travelers come from all over the world!
  • Safest and securest travel option: traveling in a private maxi-van accompanied by a professional group leader offers a level of security that cannot not be found when traveling on a regular bus transportation system.

More info and booking: 

Call: 1 800 TREK USA