Skip to main content

Current Host Family Resources

Find information for current host families below, including how to renew or extend with AuPairCare, extension program pricing, tax information and details about your au pair's insurance and Visa.

Host Family Renewal Application

Ready to host a new au pair for another program year?

It’s easy to renew your host family application online and start viewing au pair profiles. AuPairCare recommends that host families renew their application at least 4 months prior to their current au pair’s U.S. departure. Simply login to Family Room and update your existing host family profile. 

Special Savings:

AuPairCare thanks our returning families by offering various discounts and benefits. All families will enjoy a waived application fee ($50 savings) plus a $500 program fee discount on your next 12 month  (overseas or in-country) au pair following a completed placement. In addition, returning host families who match with an overseas au pair three months prior to their current program end date will receive an additional $250 early-match program fee discount. That is a total potential savings of $800*

*The repeat host family discount cannot be combined with other offers and is valid only when welcoming a 12 month (overseas or in-country) au pair. Additional $250 discount is valid only for overseas au pairs.

AuPairCare Extension Program

The Extension Program is a wonderful opportunity to provide your family with continuous childcare for up to two years. After welcoming an au pair to your home for the first year, you and your au pair will have the option to extend your time together.

Program Details:

  • Host families and au pairs may extend their program one time for an additional 6, 9 or 12 months.
  • Au pairs will continue to work up to 45 hours per week, receive a weekly stipend from the host family, and earn vacation time as outlined in the Host Family Agreement.
  • The Department of State required educational component must be repeated during the extension period.

How to Apply:

AuPairCare recommends that host families and au pairs apply to the Extension Program after the au pair has been in the U.S. for at least seven months. Login to Family Room to complete your Host Family Extension Application. Your au pair will then need to complete the Au Pair Extension application and submit proof of Completed Educational Coursework.

Extension Application Deadline Dates:

Extension applications must be submitted by the extension deadline which is 40 days prior to your program end date. A complete list of deadlines can be found in the 2016 Extension Deadlines document. You'll find additional information about how to extend in your Family Room account six months prior to your program end date. Unfortunately, AuPairCare can’t accommodate late applications.

Extension Program Pricing: Year Two

Extension Program Pricing 12 Month Extension 9 Month Extension 6 Month Extension

DOS Processing Fee 


Program Fees

(due 30 days prior to extension start)




+ up to $500 towards additional 6 credit units *includes repeat host family discount




+ up to $500 towards additional 6 credit units




+ up to $250 towards additional 3 credit units

 The Department of State Fee is due upon completion of the host family and au pair extension application request. The current au pair must be placed in the home for a minimum of six months to be eligible for Extension Program Pricing. 

AuPairCare offers a Payment Plan for 12 month extension au pairs only. 

Extension Program Payment Plan

12 Month Extension 

DOS Processing Fee 

Down Payment

4 Program Fee Installments



$1,050 each

*$400 Payment Plan Fee is included.

Travel and J-1 Visa Renewal and Extension Information

During the extension program, if an au pair wishes to travel outside of the United States, she may need to renew her J-1 Visa or obtain an additional tourist visa. An au pair must have her extension approved by the Department of State prior to the visa renewal appointment at a U.S. Embassy.

Please note: Au pairs from certain countries may be required to obtain a tourist visa to enter a foreign country. The J-1 Visa for the United States does not automatically grant entry into other countries. The au pair is responsible for checking the requirements for their home country.

Tax Information for Host Families

Current host families can find general guidelines regarding childcare taxes on our blog, and more in depth resources by logging into Family Room and searching "taxes". We hope this information will assist you in preparing for a conversation with your tax advisor or the IRS.

AuPairCare is not licensed to provide official tax advice, so we cannot provide host families or au pairs tax advice regarding program fee and wage inquiries. Tax laws vary from state to state, so we encourage host families and au pairs to consult with a local professional tax advisor or directly with the Internal Revenue Service for any specific questions regarding taxation.

Au Pair Travel and Accident Insurance

Attention: All au pairs currently in the United States are covered by UnitedHealthCare StudentResources through December 31, 2015.  Please scroll to the bottom of this section for information on UnitedHealthCare*

Insurance Overview:

Effective January 1, 2016 all current au pairs are covered under a new travel and accident insurance policy arranged by AuPairCare as part of their au pair benefits package and will be automatically enrolled with First Health Network. Your au pair's insurance card is available at For details of our au pair's coverage and to search the network of preferred provider doctors au pairs can log into Au pairs can also visit their Au Pair Room account for frequently asked questions and other important insurance information. It is your au pair's responsibility to familiarize yourself with the policy coverage and exclusions.

*UnitedHealthCare StudentResources


  • The UnitedHealthcare StudentResources policy number is 2014-202858-2
  • Visit This website provides a summary of insurance coverage, a complete brochure, a U.S. medical provider search, downloadable claim form, a Frequently Asked Questions section and other information.  
  • A UnitedHealthcare StudentResources representative is available Monday - Friday, 7a.m. - 7p.m. C.S.T. to answer any questions you may have. Call them at 1-866-548-8472.  


Locating a Medical Provider in the United States

  • In order to receive 100% coverage or reimbursement for covered medical services, your au pair must use an in-network Preferred Provider. To locate a medical provider in your area, you may search for a provider here.
  • If you are unable to find a medical provider in your area using the Provider Search, please contact UnitedHealthcare StudentResources at 1-866-548-8472. They will assist your au pair in finding a provider in your area.

UnitedHealthcare StudentResources is open for Pre-Admission Notification calls from 8:00a.m. to 6:00p.m. C.S.T. Monday through Friday. Calls may be left on the Customer Service Department’s voicemail after hours by calling 1-877-295-0720.

Emergency room visits that do not result in admittance to a medical facility or are not necessary in order to treat an acute illness or accident will result in a non-emergency co-pay deductible payment of $250 USD that your au pair must pay. Before visiting an emergency room in the United States, ask your au pair if she is suffering from a life threatening or acute illness or injury. If not, it is best to contact a medical provider in your area.

More information is available for your au pair on the Current Au Pair Resources Page, or in Au Pair Room.