- what is au pair childcare
- program costs
- why au pair care
- meet our au pairs
- getting started
- current host families
Au Pair Training
The Au Pair Academy
All Au Pair Care au pairs attend the Au Pair Academy prior to arrival to the host family's home. This special au pair training program is designed to provide au pairs with an introduction to their year as an au pair and to provide practical training and information about childcare and safety topics. The program also focuses on introducing au pairs to American culture and what they can expect living with an American host family.
During the four-day program, the Au Pair Academy instructors conduct discussions, activities and lead hands-on training at our state-of-the-art New Jersey campus, a short distance from New York City. We've recently added a new Safety Care™ training program to our curriculum that includes hand-on child and infant CPR and first aid training by the American Heart Association for all our au pairs, as well as instruction in other important child safety topics.
Au pair training topics include:
- Training in CPR & First Aid by the American Heart Association
- Roles & responsibilities of an Au Pair Care au pair
- Stages of child development (infant to young teen)
- Proprietary Safety Care™ training program that covers important child, household and driving safety measures
- Information on bathing & feeding American children
- Strategies for caring for more than one child at a time
- Games & activities for stimulating child development
- American culture & the typical American household
- Creating a positive working relationship with host parents
- Responsibilities & safety precautions for driving in the USA
- General household safety & hygiene
If you have an infant or are expecting, learn more about our Infant Specialized Au Pair Training Program.
During the Au Pair Academy training program, au pairs attend small group sessions that provide in-depth information on elements of child safety, behavior and development. Au Pair Care au pairs participate in activities that will help reinforce learning, including what to do in an emergency, age appropriate indoor and outdoor activities and child nutrition. Each of these exercises increases confidence, thoughtful decision-making and prepares your au pair for a successful experience caring for your children.
The Au Pair Care Au Pair Academy training program is also a great way for au pairs to share questions and concerns in a supportive environment. Au pairs become fast friends and frequently stay in touch once they are in their host communities.
Learn More about the Roles and Responsibilities of an Au Pair
We want you to know as much about hosting an au pair as possible. See “What is an au pair?” and “What are an au pair’s responsibilities?” for more information, and be sure to review our au pair screening process that ensures every au pair is qualified to care for your family.